[webkit-gtk] Where to start on writing an offline browser?

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 22:43:50 PDT 2012

2012/4/6 Scott Prager <splinterofchaos at gmail.com>:
> I have this idea, and it may already have been done before, of a browser
> that prefers offline browsing to online. One that allows you to surf the web
> and automatically downloads every site you see onto the harddrive. If you've
> already visited a site, it should load the harddrive version and check
> online for updates.

Two comments came to mind:

1) What you describe is basically unlimited (disk-)caching, so it
probably could be implemented simply by tweaking the cache parameters.

2) The idea itself would have been awesome in 1995 or so, but
unfortunately today a very large portion of the content in web is
dynamically created, updated and presented, so as such the percentage
of static (or to be exact, cacheable) content has gone so low that the
much wider network bandwidth has made long-term caching obsolete.
Whether this applies to your use-case depends on the target content of
course.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi