[webkit-gtk] Webkit-gtk support for HW accelerated video

Philippe Normand philn at igalia.com
Thu Sep 22 02:00:28 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 10:25 +0200, Tord Andersson wrote:
> I am currently testing ways to use HW-acceleration of embedded video within webkit-gtk using
> gstreamer vaapi plugins on an Atom platform with Nvidia Ion graphics and associated drivers.
> However, H.264 videos that utilize the accelerated hardware decoding are started in separate windows.
> When tested in a system that uses SW decoding, this will not happen.
> Is there some way to to force the embedded, accelerated video to stay within the main window?

I haven't use the VA-API plugins yet but my guess is that a custom
video-sink is created (like in the VDPAU case) and the webkitgtk
video-sink that handles the "in-webview" rendering is simply ignored :(

Not sure we can do much about this, our sink would need to support
video/x-vaapi-surface and be able to convert the VA-API surface to a
Cairo surface.

I'd better wait GStreamer 1.0 which plans to better support and somehow
unify the various APIs for HW-decoding (VDPAU, VA-API, etc.).

Philippe