[webkit-gtk] No images on Windows, just wireframes

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Oct 3 01:13:01 PDT 2011

Hi

I am a contributor to a project writing Bible study software (www.xiphos.org). Our programme is probably one of the most comprehensive and featureful Bible study programmes about among the open source ones.

We recently had to port the display engine from xulrunner to webkitgtk, mostly because we never got xulrunner to work on our windows port. webkitgtk works great in all kinds of manners - but for a very annoying problem: Images, loaded as src="file://..."  are displayed as wireframes only, no content. To boot the guy who did the port has left the project.

As the frustration levels rise, I am wondering if someone can give us some directions to look into or even hands-on assistance.

All our webkit related code is concentrated here:

http://gnomesword.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnomesword/branches/webkit/src/webkit/wk-html.c?revision=4307&view=markup

The relevant header file is here:

http://gnomesword.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnomesword/branches/webkit/src/webkit/wk-html.h?revision=4307&view=markup

Searching through archives and other places, it seems most likely (but I am open in all directions) that our lack of enforcing appropriate settings is the core of the problems.

This page:

http://webkitgtk.org/reference/WebKitWebSettings.html

lists the settings possible and the defaults. There are two places which
are suspicious to me:

http://webkitgtk.org/reference/WebKitWebSettings.html#WebKitWebSettings--enable-file-access-from-file-uris

and

http://webkitgtk.org/reference/WebKitWebSettings.html#WebKitWebSettings--enable-universal-access-from-file-uris

Looking at the file src/webkit/wk-html.c - there is no place settings
are even only considered, so basically everything will be with the
library defaults - i.e. not allow file uploads.

I have tried to create a patch which certainly compiles - but it does
nothing for me. I have used it in two varieties - both properties and
one only - always set to true

www.crosswire.org/~refdoc/private/patch

My guess is - my patch is the right idea but maybe the wrong place/wrong
implementation.

Can you assist?

Peter

P.S. - some time ago we had one preliminary Windows built of the programme where the images did work. This was done  by the guy who now left, and we can not reconstruct what he did different then. We do also wonder therefore if there are compile time options of webkitgtk which interfere with what we want to do.

P.P.S. I am no coder. I was one of the translators and documenters who got thrown in the deep end due to others leaving. So I am struggling with what may even be very basic concepts. Please therefore be gentle.