[webkit-gtk] ABI compatibility between releases

Grant Gayed Grant_Gayed at ca.ibm.com
Thu May 5 15:09:51 PDT 2011

Hi,

I maintain the Eclipse project's SWT Browser control, which last year
switched from using Gecko to WebKitGTK (1.2 at the time).  The main motive
for this transition was a desire to use a native renderer that would not
break us with every release (Gecko was doing this).  With WebKitGTK 1.4
now out there I see that the API has been reasonably preserved but binary
compatibility has not, and as a result our latest service release from
three months ago already fails on Linux distros that ship WebKitGTK 1.4,
because our library was compiled against 1.2.  We're now looking at
shipping two versions of our webkit library, one compiled against
WebKitGTK 1.2 and the other against 1.4, in order to support older and
newer linux releases.  My question is, is ABI breakage going to be a
recurring pattern with each WebKitGTK release?

Most of the other libraries that SWT uses (gtk2, atk, glib, etc.) have not
broken us in 10 years of use, as they maintain API and ABI compatibility
as a policy.  Maintaining ABI compatibility may not matter when a client
app is being shipped with a linux distro, but it greatly affects software
that users download rather than using a version that's bundled with their
OS.  I assume there are other apps out there that also become broken by
changes like this (?).  Is there any will to maintain binary compatibility
in future WebKitGTK releases?  To do so would do a great service to your
client apps (or at least one of them :-) ).

Thanks,
Grant