[webkit-gtk] dns prefetching knob

Todd T. Fries todd at fries.net
Wed Mar 9 10:09:40 PST 2011

Penned by Martin Robinson on 20110309 10:55.37, we have:
| On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Marco Peereboom <slash at peereboom.us> wrote:
| > Hence the knobbing part. ??Some people have legitimate use for it which
| > is of course fine. ??I want it for performance reasons but also to
| > prevent DNS tracking. ??Between DNS prefetching, link hovering and the
| > empty DNS lookups webkit generates one can get near pixel resolution on
| > how the user moves his mouse. ??This comes in handy for "Online
| > Behavioral Tracking". ??Being a practical paranoid I'd like to prevent
| > that.
|
| Is it possible for you to make the tools you used to generate your
| performance number available publically? This would help us fix any
| performance issues that exist as bugs. This may very well be some
| weird corner case that we're hitting in libsoup. Let's fix it!
|
| I do not think there is any harm in exposing this setting. I do
| believe that those pushing for it should try to clarify what it is
| though. From what I gather it's effectively two pieces:
|
| 1. A backport of a Settings.cpp DNS prefetch change to the stable branch.
| 2. New code which exposes this setting in the WebKitWebSettings WebKitGTK+ API.
|
| Really it should just be the change to WebKitWebSettings and a request
| to merge both changes back into the stable branch. Be aware that we
| are desperately close to cutting the stable branch for 1.4.x.

So is this a request to separate the WebKitWebSettings change and make a
formal request to merge both changes back into the stable branch?

Sounds like a path forward to me.

Todd Fries .. todd at fries.net

|                                             \  1.636.410.0632 (voice)
| Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                 \  1.405.227.9094 (voice)
| http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com             \  1.866.792.3418 (FAX)
| 2525 NW Expy #525, Oklahoma City, OK 73112  \  sip:freedaemon at ekiga.net
| "..in support of free software solutions."  \  sip:4052279094 at ekiga.net

              37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
                        http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt