[webkit-gtk] WebKit 2 search API proposal

Žan Doberšek zandobersek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 09:44:01 PST 2011

I think the 'find client' should definitely be tied to WebKitWebView, but
should not be settable. Ergo, only one instance of 'find client' would
exist per a web view. In the current proposed API by Sergio, the 'find
client' object doesn't have any user-definable properties that would
require resetting the that object as the 'find client' of the web view in
which the search would be performed.

I've been writing 'find client' because I don't really like the name. Using
the word 'find' sounds to me as there's a guarantee that something would be
found. This honestly is just nitpickish, but it simply sounds wrong in my
ears. I'd propose using the name 'WebKitTextSearchClient'. I'd leave the
'text' part in the name just so that people would not be confused about
thinking that they can perhaps perform googling or something similar.

The search client would then offer the signals as originally proposed.

Is there any interest of also providing a list of matches? That way
something similar to what Chromium is doing could be done (showing the
matches in the scrollbar). Though, other than that, I can't think of an use
case. Also, _next() and _prev() would be good additions to the API in that
sense.

Regards,
Zan