[webkit-gtk] "Toos/Scripts/build-webkit --gtk --debug" is very much memory-consuming

Sergio Villar Senin svillar at igalia.com
Fri Dec 2 07:06:15 PST 2011

En 30/11/11 09:12, Joe Yu escribiu:
> Hi,
>
> I¡¯m a newbie for WebKit. I ¡®git clone¡¯-ed the master branch from git.webkit.org/WebKit.git and tried to build it for Gtk+. My build command was simply:
>
> ¡¡¡¡"Toos/Scripts/build-webkit --gtk --debug".
>
> But I found it was always stuck at the following step:
>
>         /bin/mkdir libwebkitgtk-3.0.la
>         CXXLD libwebkitgtk-3.0.la
>         CXXLD libwebkit2gtk-3.0.la
>         CXXLD Programs/WebKitPluginProcess
>
> My 64-bit oneiric almost didn't respond. I checked my system monitor and found three ld processes have consumed all my 4GB memory and 4.3GB swap. Is that a problem with the build system? Or I have to install more SDRAM?

That's normal, the debug build requires a lot of resources, certainly
more than 4Gb of RAM. One of the things you could do to improve the
linking process is install GNU gold (binutils-gold in debian). It's
faster than "normal" ld and consume less resources. Also in order to
prevent make from launching a lot of link jobs at the same time you can
do "Control-C" to cancel the build, and the go to WebKitBuild/Debug and
try "make" there.

BR