[webkit-gtk] Webkit introspection experiments with Python

Gabriel Jacobo gabomdq at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 14:04:18 PDT 2010

I'm making progress with the introspection stuff, however I have one more
doubt...

To get the introspection tool to work, i added a --symbol-prefix=webkit to the
G_IR_SCANNER parameters, and this takes care of a lot of warnings and puts
many functions working properly into the .gir file.
Some other functions (like get_dom_document) are fixed easily like this:

/**
 * webkit_web_view_get_dom_document:
 * @webView: a #WebKitWebView
 *
 * Returns: (element-type #WebKitDOMDocument) (transfer none): the
#WebKitDOMDocument currently loaded in the @webView
 *
 * Since: 1.3.1
 **/

But my doubt is referred to the functions that are located inside the
DerivedSources directory and that are generated by a script AFAICT. The
introspection tool complains that there's no transfer mode configured and skips
these functions (among them, useful in particular for my example,
get_element_by_id). An easy fix is to bypass this check in
introspectablepass.py line 113, which gets my example going, but I'd like to
know how to do a proper bugfix in Webkit, that is, where to place this comments
g-ir-scanner needs to determine the transfer type, parameters,etc for each
function.
Perhaps put them all together in a separate "comments only" header file and add
it to the list of headers that get processed by the tool?

Best Regards,

Gabriel.