[webkit-gtk] Video playback with webkit gstreamer

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Dec 10 16:12:40 PST 2009

Evan Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
>> Via the html5 media tags, epiphany / midori will now display the specified
>> poster but do not yet play media, and google chrome (jaunty) which I believe
>> uses their own static webkit build now plays ogg vorbis/theora but does not
>> yet play h.264/mp3 (yes, I have the fluendo plugins) - so it probably will
>> not be much longer until the packaged binaries do it.
>
> Google Chrome should correctly play both ogg and h264 natively.
> If you have a URL where this isn't happening, I'd like to hear about
> it (off-list).

Hi.

The problem was not chrome.
The media was actually being sent by a php wrapper that read the file
and sent it. That worked well enough for flash players (like flowplayer)
but it did not work for most of the html5 players (worked in firefox but
the progress bar jumped to end).

So the problem was not chrome. I suspect it was lack of ability of my
php wrapper script to provide Accept-Ranges support.

I'm now doing things differently, so that all the media is in the web
root and does not use a php wrapper to fetch it, but is served directly
by apache.