[webkit-efl] Fwd: [E-devel] EFL 1.10 is Out

ryuan Choi ryuan.choi at gmail.com
Mon May 26 07:33:23 PDT 2014

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stefan Schmidt <stefan at datenfreihafen.org>
Date: 2014-05-26 20:02 GMT+09:00
Subject: [E-devel] EFL 1.10 is Out
To: enlightenment-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/efl_and_elementary_1_10_release_announcement/

= EFL 1.10 is Out =

After three months of development work we are proud to announce the release
of version 1.10 of EFL, Elementary, Evas Generic Loaders and Emotion
Generic Players. We extended the original schedule by one week to allow for
more bug fixes. For 1.11 we plan to go back to the 12 weeks schedule.

== Download ==

http://download.enlightenment.org/rel/libs/efl/efl-1.10.0.tar.gz
55ab54150e4c53781f7b3239f39c11a06c3b9208f4109700bca049c36cd6c49b

http://download.enlightenment.org/rel/libs/elementary/elementary-1.10.0.tar.gz
01c9127f0b29c1a07328199f51fb6d72d7f250be31e8afb26914566fb1c7e612

http://download.enlightenment.org/rel/libs/emotion_generic_players/emotion_generic_players-1.10.0.tar.gz
ccfb1c8c346ba1a84484b82ce1ce871fd2c6660421ca7fa5d911661bd3cc94db

http://download.enlightenment.org/rel/libs/evas_generic_loaders/evas_generic_loaders-1.10.0.tar.gz
f5294c1a86dd4d7d4983ec4217c0d0d1a9cfa3fc2060d4af7eec5fa4ce23a463

----
= What's New =

Even if we had only three months a lot has happened during the 1.10 release
cycle.
We only cover some highlights here for the full list please look at the
NEWS files
if you are interested in the details. As usual we have been working on
fixing bugs,
optimizing our code for speed and memory footprint and adding new features.
Below we describe just some highlights and by no means provide a full list.

== Elementary theme versioning ==
>From this release on themes need to have a version. Please refer to
bc860d5cb14ef792251324de54041efcb75538cd if you need to adapt an external
theme. Internal themes have been adapted.

== Huge Edje changes ==
** `TEXT` parts with `text.min: 1 X;` now throw warnings in edje_cc when
`text.ellipsis: -1;` is not set since this is the most common behavior
** `TEXT` parts now calculate padding more accurately, making layout offset
calculation easier when using filters
** Text filters now use a **Lua**-like syntax which is slightly different
from the beta filter API in 1.9
** Entry behavior is now much more consistent with other toolkits
** Text-containing parts now support `text.source` and `text.text_source`
with parts of type `GROUP`
** EDC **documentation** has been improved in a number of places
*** This still needs contributions from users like you!
** The EDC language has had an overhaul, adding a number of new features:
*** [[
https://build.enlightenment.org/job/nightly_efl_gcc_x86_64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/doc/html/edcref.html#sec_lazedc|LazEDC
]]
*** [[
https://build.enlightenment.org/job/nightly_efl_gcc_x86_64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/doc/html/edcref.html#sec_collections_group_parts_description_links|Statetransitions
are now simpler]]
*** [[
https://build.enlightenment.org/job/nightly_efl_gcc_x86_64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/doc/html/edcref.html#sec_collections_group_programs|Programsnow
support target groups]] for reusing groups of parts as targets
*** [[
https://build.enlightenment.org/job/nightly_efl_gcc_x86_64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/doc/html/edcref.html#sec_collections_group_program_sequence|Programchains
are now much simpler to create]]
*** Part inheritance
*** Greatly improved group inheritance
*** Examples of new features can be seen in Elementary commits
9650c1fb62cdf6365d7caf1ab49302c529c4703f through
8144ff8ae361d500a8a29aff949bfb5d469db130

== Eo2 has landed ==
We've changed a lot of things in the Eo objecting system. The underlying
object system for the EFL. The API should be much better and easier to work
with, and you can finally do things like:

    ret = eo_do(obj, some_call());
or
    eo_do(obj, ret = some_call());

We now have better error/warning reporting in C code, and it should also be
easier to create bindings that use eo_do() calls.

== New EFL C++ bindings ==
** Libraries currently available: Ecore-Cxx, Eet-Cxx, Eina-Cxx and Eo-Cxx.
** There's also Eolian-Cxx, a tool that automatically generates C++
bindings from .eo files.
** Bindings for Evas-Cxx, Edje-Cxx, Ecore-Cxx and Ecore-Audio-Cxx are
generated during EFL build.
** All libraries and the generated bindings are C++11 header-only code.

== Added support for ETC1 ==
** Ericsson Texture Compression is a lossy image compression format based
on open standards. It is supported by many embedded GPUs, and compresses at
4 bits per pixel
** ETC1 is fully supported for both the gl_x11 and software engines, and a
codec is included in EFL (based on rg-etc1)
** ETC2 support is still a work in progress as there is no encoder yet

== Eolian ==
Eolian is a tool generating code from a meta-data (.eo) file describing
classes. Its first goal is to facilitate code writing when interfacing with
Eo, by generating automatically the APIs and the invocation to the Eo APIs.
It consists of:
** a library parsing these .eo files and filling a database.
** a generator using this database to generate C code invoking Eo layer
(eo_do) and headers for Eo and legacy APIs.
For the format of the .eo files, please refer to
https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/eolian/
The Eolian APIs are still beta. It will surely change, hopefully until 1.11.

== Elementary Widget Item Focus Concept ==
** Each elementary widget's item can get a focus now. So focus highlight
moves between widgets, widget items, and even between widgets and widget
items.
** Each widget item triggers "focused" and "unfocused" smart callback.

== Statistics ==
During this release cycle efl received 783 commits with 598 files
changed, 33338 line insertions and 11352 line deletions.

During this release cycle elementary received 576 commits with
637 files changed 29482 line insertions and 13469 line deletions.

Top 5 Coverity issue fixers: (git shortlog -nse --grep CID)

==Building and Dependencies==

If you have an existing EFL or Elementary install, you may wish to delete
its header files and libraries before compiling and installing to avoid
possible conflicts during compilation. If you are compiling the above,
please compile them in the following order:

efl
elementary
emotion_generic_players
evas_generic_loaders
Please refer to the respective README files in each release for a full list
of dependencies, explanations on configure flags and other relevant
information (Just scroll down to see the README already displayed nicely).

EFL
Elementary
Emotion Generic Players
Evas Generic Loaders
Recommended dependencies are for all of the above are:

bullet
libpng
libjpeg
gstreamer (1.x) (ensure you have all the gstreamer codecs you need/want.
Evas generic loaders still need gstreamer 0.10)
zlib
luajit (optional lua 5.1 or 5.2)
libtiff
openssl
curl
dbus
libc
fontconfig
freetype2
fribidi
libpulse
libsndfile
libx11
libxau
libxcomposite
libxdamage
libxdmcp
libxext
libxfixes
libxinerama
libxrandr
libxrender
libxss
libxtst
libxcursor
libxp
libxi (2.2 or newer)
libgl (opengl/glx or opengl-es2/egl)
giflib
util-linux (limbount + libblkid)
systemd / libudev
harfbuzz
systemd
libwebp
vlc (libvlc)
poppler
libraw
libspectre
librsvg

It is suggested you add the following options when building EFL to get a
better experience:
--enable-xinput22 \
--enable-multisense \
--enable-systemd \
--enable-image-loader-webp \
--enable-harfbuzz

On linux to get framebuffer support you may want to also do:
--enable-fb
--disable-tslib

If you want wayland support also add:
--enable-wayland

At runtime if you want thumbnailing for DOC/PPT/XLS etc. files also provide:
libreoffice