[webkit-efl] Common ref and unref functions for EFL WK2 objects

Dumez, Christophe christophe.dumez at intel.com
Wed Oct 31 05:56:43 PDT 2012

Hi,

In my opinion, the impact on the public API is small:
  - Client calls ewk_ref(intent) / ewk_unref(intent) instead of calling
ewk_intent_ref(intent) / ewk_intent_unref(intent).

The code is slightly smaller, yes. However, it becomes less obvious which
objects ewk_ref() / ewk_unref() can be used on.

I'm also worried about the internal changes needed to make this small API
change. I'm waiting to see the patch but the code
involved in doing this is probably not that small and may have performance
impact (especially if you need to recognize the object type at run time).

Kr,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Pozdnyakov, Mikhail <
mikhail.pozdnyakov at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've already mentioned the proposal at
> http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-efl/2012-October/000393.html
>
> but think (and since nobody replied so far) it deserves new topic and new
> thread, so duplicating proposal again here.
>
> As all the ref-counting EWK classes are inherited from WTF::RefCounted
> it is possible now to have generic REF/UNREF functions in the public API
> instead of
> having separate pair of such functions for every object.
>
> To say in more details we could introduce
> struct Ewk_Ref_Counted Ewk_Ref_Counted;
> and following generic functions:
> EAPI Ewk_Ref_Counted*  ewk_ref(Ewk_Ref_Counted*);
> EAPI  ewk_unref(Ewk_Ref_Counted*);
>
> then Ewk_Back_Forward_List_Item  might be declared for instance as
>
> typedef Ewk_Ref_Counted Ewk_Back_Forward_List_Item;
>
> so that it's clear that Ewk_Back_Forward_List_Item is ref-countable
> (or we could just mention in docs that given object is ref counted).
>
> Would like to hear your opinion about this proposal.
>
> BTW, WK2 C API has geneiric ref/unfer functions and GTK also does.
>
> BR,
> Mikhail
> Intel Finland Oy
> Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
> Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
> Domiciled in Helsinki

Christophe Dumez
Linux Software Engineer, PhD
Intel Finland Oy - Open Source Technology Center