[webkit-efl] How to run layout tests with X server 1.13.0

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at webkit.org
Tue Nov 13 13:30:59 PST 2012

Still on the theme of b0rkedness related to Accelerated Compositing...

tl;dr version:

  If you are using X server 1.13.0 (which means you are on Ubuntu
  12.10, Arch Linux, Fedora 18 etc) and want to run layout tests,
  either:

  o Pass `--no-tiled-backing-store' to build-webkit.
  o Build a copy of the X server somewhere with commits
    5f5bbbe543f65c48ecbb5cce80116a86ca3fbe86 and
    aad428b8e21c77397c623b78706eb64b1fea77c9 reverted and use its
    version of Xvfb.

Full version:

  There is a regression in the 1.13.0 release (which has not been fixed
  yet) of the X server that prevents Xvfb from loading the GLX extension
  needed by the `opengl_x11' Evas backend used when
  WTF_USE_TILED_BACKING_STORE (and thus Accelerated Compositing) is
  enabled.

  I'm not sure if the folks are working on a WebKit patch that at least
  makes things degrade gracefully instead of crashing [1] when the
  `opengl_x11' backend cannot be loaded, but that is sort of orthogonal
  to the issue in X itself.

  [1] https://gist.github.com/61bf7390f76fddb5c97b

  I have reported the issue upstream [2] and will try to send a patch
  fixing the problem to the xorg-devel list as soon as possible.

  [2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2012-November/034411.html

  Meanwhile, if you are affected you either need to disable the use of
  tiled backing store altogether or build your own copy of Xvfb with
  those commits I mentioned disabled.

--
Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki