[webkit-dev] ASSERT vs. RELEASE_ASSERT

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at redhat.com
Mon Apr 1 14:18:36 PDT 2024

Hi,

Just brainstorming, but I generally think it's worth enabling way more
assertions in production builds to the extent we can do so without
unacceptable performance impact. My ideal would be to rename ASSERT()
to SLOW_ASSERT() and then rename RELEASE_ASSERT() to ASSERT(), to make
release asserts the "default" type of assert. But I'm not ambitious
enough to attempt that. Notably, this would in many cases downgrade the
severity of security bugs, since hitting a RELEASE_ASSERT() is at worst
a denial of service issue. Curious what other WebKit developers think
about this.

Michael