[webkit-dev] Meaning of '7' in WebKit Versioning

강수진 rkdthd1234 at naver.com
Sun Oct 29 22:07:37 PDT 2023

Meaning of '7' in WebKit Versioning
Hello,
I have a question about the versioning rules in WebKit.
I am aware that the version of WebKit used varies based on the iOS version. For example, in iOS 17.0, the WebKit framework's WebKit.tbd file shows the current version as 616.1.27, while in iOS 16.4, it's 615.1.26.
When I checked the corresponding source for each version on WebKit's GitHub, I noticed that the tags for these versions are labeled as WebKit-7616.1.20.
Upon inspecting Version.xcconfig, I found that 616.1.20 represents the Major, Minor, and Tiny versions, respectively. However, I couldn't determine the significance of '7'.
I speculated that '7' might represent the SYSTEM_VERSION_PREFIX since BUNDLE_VERSION_Production is set to $(SYSTEM_VERSION_PREFIX)$(FULL_VERSION); in the same file. But considering the system version prefix for iPhone SDK is set to 8, '7' couldn't denote that.
After some research, I found that '7' signifies the release year of Mac OS 10.7 (Lion), which was launched in 2011.
Could you please clarify the meaning of '7' in tags like WebKit-7616.1.20?