[webkit-dev] Approving / Rejects PRs on GitHub when not a reviewer?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at redhat.com
Tue Nov 28 11:51:21 PST 2023

On Tue, Nov 28 2023 at 10:27:41 AM -0800, Chris Dumez via webkit-dev
<webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
> The reason I would like us to make enforce this rule is that I find
> it confusing. We have a lot of new comers in the project and I do not
> always know if a person is a reviewer or not yet. I imagine it may be
> even more confusing for non-Apple people.
>
> I have in some cases not reviewed patches because I had seen the
> "green check” and thought the PR already had been approved.

+1, if there is a green checkmark, then I assume that person is a
reviewer. It's really confusing when non-reviewers add the green
checkmark.

> I have also seen cases of PRs rejected, asking the author to do more
> work, that I didn’t feel was necessary.

Hm, I wonder if these situations were exceptions rather than common
situations? In general, I would expect that if a non-reviewer is
requesting changes on a pull request, they are *probably* justified in
doing so, so I'm much less concerned about non-reviewer use of "Request
changes" than I am about non-reviewer use of "Approved." The submitter
can always argue against the requests, after all. It's very common for
a reviewer to request something and for the change author to push back.
We usually agree in the end. :)

I don't have a strong opinion on this.

Michael