[webkit-dev] Finding when a platform was dropped

Elliott Williams emw at apple.com
Tue Jul 11 11:30:19 PDT 2023

On Apple platforms, we do not specifically “turn off” support for older OSes. WebKit’s build is configured to deploy to whichever SDK version you have installed.

That said, you can see when we stop building for a specific OS version in our continuous integration, which is a good indicator of when we drop support for it. Two ways to do this are:

1. Check the history of Tools/CISupport/ews-build/config.json. For example, https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/commit/eb60908303ab4874a8926527756e19b6ae6e4cdb is when CI stopped building Big Sur.

2. On https://webkit.org/build-archives/, look at the latest commit for a macOS version. This shows that the last commit our infrastructure built for Big Sur was `261428 at main`.

Every year, some time after removing CI support for an OS release, we actually strip out the conditional code for that version, at which point the build would truly break.

Hope this helps!
Elliott