[webkit-dev] Unsigned to avoid negative values

Simon Fraser simon.fraser at apple.com
Thu Jan 26 18:44:04 PST 2023

Late to the party but….

Avoiding unsigned is usually recommended to avoid inadvertent underflow:

    unsigned big = 200;
    unsigned small = 100;
    auto result = small - big; // underflow

This is particularly bad when doing math on buffer offsets and sizes, and can result in OOB bugs. I believe Apple’s media frameworks code has a “no unsigned usage” rule because of that. I’m surprised that no-one has raised it in this discussion.

Simon