[webkit-dev] Stop Using Raw Pointers & References in New Code

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at redhat.com
Sat Jan 21 12:12:23 PST 2023

On Fri, Jan 20 2023 at 06:15:38 PM -0800, Ryosuke Niwa via webkit-dev
<webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
> Here’s a PR to make the style checker look for raw pointers &
> references in data members: https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/8907
>
> I suggest we land this PR in 5 business days from now on unless
> someone objects.

I'm not sure how this would work as a style check rule since there's
always going to be exceptions. E.g. we probably don't want to convert
GObject priv pointers to use CheckedRef: that would be silly.

I think we can follow this rule in most of WebCore and maybe most of
WebKit and WTF as well. Probably not going to work for bmalloc. Not
sure about JSC.

Michael