[webkit-dev] New status field required for feature flags

Elliott Williams emw at apple.com
Fri Jan 13 14:49:45 PST 2023

I’m adding some inline documentation to UnifiedWebPreferences.yaml in https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/8549, to help clarify things. Feedback appreciated!

> On Jan 10, 2023, at 07:31, Jean-Yves Avenard <jean-yves.avenard at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> What status should be used for:
> "Enabled by default on most platforms except those we’ve decided not to support or if a local system dependency can’t be met but feature is still ready for general use, but UI to toggle the feature remains to support debugging, A/B testing."

That should be an acceptable use for ‘stable’. With this in mind, Brent and I updated the definition of ’stable’ to relax it a bit:

	ON by default. Some platforms may deviate from default behavior due to # support or needed dependencies.

> That defaultValue could be ignored in the future seems a regression and doesn’t address some existing use cases.

While we don’t have any enforcement of the defaults now (i.e. the the feature defaults are only advisory, and whatever is in defaultValue is used), I’d like to get us to a point where the defaults are widely used. The only time we should need to deviate is for platform-specific considerations like these. If and when we get there, I’ll make sure the defaultValue is *not* silently ignored by the code generator :)

Elliott