[webkit-dev] WebKit Documentation

dpino dpino at igalia.com
Tue Feb 28 00:39:34 PST 2023

On 9/20/22 05:28, Brandon Stewart via webkit-dev wrote:

> Hi WebKit Developers,
>
> Documentation is an important part of any open source project, especially for a larger project like WebKit. Being able to ramp up during the onboarding process, reading up on architectural decisions, and learning how to perform common procedures are all features the documentation should tackle. WebKit has a large set of documentation already, but it is scattered around a wide range of platforms (Trac, GitHub Wiki, markdown files in the code, Git commits, etc...), and some of the information is out of date.
>
> A few months ago, I started working on a new documentation solution based on the DocC documentation framework. This provides an easy way to add and edit documentation through markdown files. I have already ported a large section of Trac, all of the GitHub Wiki, and all of the non third party markdown files in the code over to this platform. I have tested this on macOS and Linux and have found it works extremely well. (Windows should be able to use WSL2 at the moment, while a few remaining issues get sorted out). The only dependency for this project is a recent installation of Swift.
>
> You can already download the documentation and preview it locally, but we are looking to publish it online for easy viewing. We were looking to get your feedback if we would want to publish the documentation on GitHub Pages or webkit.org.
>
> The documentation source can be found at https://github.com/webkit/documentation.
>
> - Brandon

H,

It has been more than 5 months since this new documentation repository
was announced and as far as I know it hasn't been published yet. Is
there any news when this site will be publicly available?

Right now in Igalia we need to publish some information publicly and we
were discussing where it's the right place to put it.

  * WebKit Documentation (https://github.com/webkit/documentation.git),
IMHO it doesn't make sense because the information needs to be public.

  * Trac (https://trac.webkit.org/wiki), since WebKit Documentation
hasn't been published yet, the fact is that we have been updating Trac
pages in the last months.

  * WebKit GitHub Wiki (https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/wiki), it seems
like the best candidate. It says that new documentation should live
there instead of being added to Trac. But on the other hand when WebKit
Documentation was announced some people advocated for keep using the GH
Wiki but that idea was discarded. It seems like WebKit GitHub Wiki is
were new documents should be published until WebKit Documentation site
is not available? Please confirm whether this assumption is correct or
not.

--

Diego