[webkit-dev] Meaning of '7' in WebKit Versioning

Timothy Hatcher timothy at apple.com
Fri Dec 15 09:18:57 PST 2023

Your research is on the right track. The prefix originally reflected the minor dot-number from Mac OS X's version naming convention.

I implemented this versioning scheme many years ago to address versioning conflicts with the OS X installer. Safari updates, which shipped to older OS versions, were also included in new OS releases. To ensure the OS installer updated WebKit and Safari correctly, distinct bundle version numbers were necessary, as these components were built with different feature flags depending on the target SDK version (they were not intended for use outside the OS version they were compiled against). Thus, the version number's prefix was introduced to differentiate these versions and ensure proper file updates during installation (since 7616.1.20 is larger, thus newer to the installer, than 6616.1.20).

This versioning scheme isn't needed anymore, which is why the prefix number hasn't changed in the last few years.

— Timothy Hatcher