[webkit-dev] webkit-dev Digest, Vol 208, Issue 5

Elliott Williams emw at apple.com
Fri Sep 30 12:36:36 PDT 2022

> On Sep 29, 2022, at 18:54, Ryosuke Niwa via webkit-dev <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> Introduction.md is definitely not the right place for much of this, so that leaves the GitHub Wiki (which, I might point out, was never discussed as a community either, I started it so we could discuss migrating Trac in the future, but it’s never been officially “blessed") or Brandon’s DocC documentation repo as the two proposed choices
>

> I don’t think those two are only solutions. Namely, I suggest we create a new documentation repository using a cross-platform tool written in Python, Ruby, or Perl such that contributors don’t need to learn yet another programming language or runtime thereof.

For what it’s worth: I just tried out the Linux workflow, and was honestly surprised at how easy it was, compared to my experiments with Swift on Linux years ago. I had to download and extract Swift from swift.org <http://swift.org/>, and run an apt-get command listed on the download page. Then, `make preview` built the docs in less than a second and started a local server.

Perhaps “install Swift” is too much of a barrier for access. But if we’re okay with asking contributors to do that, building the docs locally appears to be very simple.