[webkit-dev] webkit-dev Digest, Vol 208, Issue 5

Jonathan Bedard jbedard at apple.com
Thu Sep 29 17:26:29 PDT 2022

>> Right now we have:
>> https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/wiki
>> https://trac.webkit.org/
>> https://webkit.org/getting-started/
>> https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/blob/main/Introduction.md
>>
>> Brandon’s solution is designed to replace the first 2, and he has buy in from the maintainers of the first two, when his solution is deployed, our existing wikis will die.
>
> I don’t think there is a community wide buy-in to replace either documentations / tools at this point. I don’t think people who happen to maintain the infrastructure get to have unilateral say on which tools will get supported or deprecated.

This is an effort to get community wide buy-in.

But it’s also worth noting that services (Trac, in particular) aren’t free to maintain, while we don’t have anything forcing action on Trac yet, it is likely we will be forced to do something in the future. And folks maintaining infrastructure might be forced to unilaterally make decisions in the future if the community hasn’t already made a decision. My point in bringing up the deprecation of our other two Wiki sources is that I don’t think we’re in the “competing standards” situation referenced in the xkcd comic.

>> Something else worth calling out here is that contributing DocC compatible markdown is similar to contributions to https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/tree/main/Websites/webkit.org that eventually end up on webkit.org <http://webkit.org/>, except that we have a nice path to automating DocC deployment (either to GitHub pages or a webkit.org <http://webkit.org/> property). We pretty frequently use technologies in our services we don’t intend contributors to regularly run at desk.
>
> That sounds strictly worse than contributing to Trac wiki or Github wiki, or even Introduction.md then. Why are we making contribution to documentation harder than it already is?

I wouldn’t describe it as “worse”, it’s different. It’s not obvious (to me, at least) that the sort of web-UI editing that GitHub’s Wiki and Trac’s Wiki provides is actually desirable. We have to restrict who can edit these sorts of wiki (in GitHub, in particular), so brand new contributors can’t even suggest wiki edits and additions. And in GitHub, at least, each revision can only contain edits to a single file unless you checkout the Wiki repo, which starts to sound a lot like the DocC workflow.

I think allowing contributors without commit access yet to contribute to documentation is a really useful feature of Brandon’s plan, and I think contributors getting a once-over from someone else before publishing documentation is also a good idea, I know it’s something I’ve often asked for informally on existing wikis.

You did suggest that “we don’t migrate contents of https://trac.webkit.org/wiki”. If we want to selectively migrate information from Trac, we still need a place to migrate that information to. Introduction.md is definitely not the right place for much of this, so that leaves the GitHub Wiki (which, I might point out, was never discussed as a community either, I started it so we could discuss migrating Trac in the future, but it’s never been officially “blessed") or Brandon’s DocC documentation repo as the two proposed choices