[webkit-dev] WebKit Documentation

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed Sep 21 06:50:38 PDT 2022

On Tue, Sep 20 2022 at 08:03:12 PM -0700, Ryosuke Niwa via webkit-dev
<webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
> (2) is particularly important because many people who are new to
> WebKit often don’t know what they don’t know. This is why, for
> example, memory management section appears towards the beginning of
> the document and the information about adding IDL files is
> immediately followed by the discussion of JS wrapper lifecycles. With
> these information now split across multiple files, it’s easy for
> people to miss out on critical information. In the ideal world,
> people won’t be adding or editing IDL files before they understood
> how JS wrappers are managed because not knowing the latter is a sure
> way of introducing subtle GC bugs.

I didn't know any of this info about JS wrapper lifecycle until I read
about it in Introduction.md a couple months ago. It really does need to
be very prominent or developers won't find it. That said, I think we
can find a way to do this without keeping it all in one single page.