[webkit-dev] WebKit Documentation

Brandon Stewart brandonstewart at apple.com
Mon Sep 19 14:28:36 PDT 2022

Hi WebKit Developers,

Documentation is an important part of any open source project, especially for a larger project like WebKit. Being able to ramp up during the onboarding process, reading up on architectural decisions, and learning how to perform common procedures are all features the documentation should tackle. WebKit has a large set of documentation already, but it is scattered around a wide range of platforms (Trac, GitHub Wiki, markdown files in the code, Git commits, etc...), and some of the information is out of date.

A few months ago, I started working on a new documentation solution based on the DocC documentation framework. This provides an easy way to add and edit documentation through markdown files. I have already ported a large section of Trac, all of the GitHub Wiki, and all of the non third party markdown files in the code over to this platform. I have tested this on macOS and Linux and have found it works extremely well. (Windows should be able to use WSL2 at the moment, while a few remaining issues get sorted out). The only dependency for this project is a recent installation of Swift.

You can already download the documentation and preview it locally, but we are looking to publish it online for easy viewing. We were looking to get your feedback if we would want to publish the documentation on GitHub Pages or webkit.org.

The documentation source can be found at https://github.com/webkit/documentation.

- Brandon