[webkit-dev] Collaborating on standards-positions

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Mon Oct 10 06:45:43 PDT 2022

Heya,

I would like to propose a lightweight process so we can jointly arrive on position: labels on https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions that can then be considered somewhat final, modulo new information coming to light. Agreeing on these positions as a community is important as they are meant to be representative of all of us.

This process is not meant to stop anyone from commenting on an issue. Please do continue to give your frank feedback as you have done thus far. Let me also echo Maciej’s Slack comments here encouraging everyone to add the relevant topic:, venue:, from:, and concerns: labels. For concerns: labels it would be good if you also added an explanatory comment. (If you cannot add labels to issues please reach out to me privately.)

The process is fairly straightforward:

1. Leave a comment with your suggested position: label, rationale (as needed), and a deadline for further feedback that’s at least 7 days in the future. Depending on the time of year or complexity of the item under review you might want to prolong this.
2. After the deadline has passed, if there were no requests for more time, no objections, and ideally you had some support through thumbs up or comments with additional context, your suggested position: label will be added. You did it! ��

To illustrate, Marcos and I have been trying it out live:

* https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/24
* https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/63

If there are no concerns I suggest we start using this more widely.

Kind regards,

Anne