[webkit-dev] GPU Process on all platforms eventually?

Alex Christensen achristensen at apple.com
Thu Nov 10 21:23:36 PST 2022

I remember several years ago there was a configuration to run WebKit2 without a network process, which was eventually removed.  Given the current work to make the GPU Process on more platforms, is there an agreement that eventually (like in a year or two or three) all platforms running WebKit should have a GPU Process?  It is a considerable security improvement, a lot of work is being done to support it, and I imagine there will come a point when we don’t want to support all the code and abstractions needed to have a configuration with a GPU Process and a configuration without, but to get there we would need consensus of some sort.