[webkit-dev] Deployment of new EWS Non-Unified builder

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sat May 21 07:43:06 PDT 2022

On Sat, May 21 2022 at 07:10:30 AM +0000, "Kirsling, Ross via
webkit-dev" <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
> This is wonderful news—thanks Diego!

Agreed.

I would go even further and consider enabling unified builds only in
DEVELOPER_MODE (for CMake ports). For non-developer builds, compilation
time is much less important than limiting RAM usage to reasonable
levels. Using ninja's default parallelization level, I recently started
hitting OOM failures even on a machine with 64 GB RAM! We have many
people complaining that they cannot build on more normal machines with
16 GB RAM. If we have an EWS to ensure the non-unified build actually
works, then it should be safe enough to make it the normal supported
path for non-developers, rather than just a "best effort, let's hope it
works today" thing.

Michael