[webkit-dev] Proposal: Immediate Deprecation of ChangeLogs

Jonathan Bedard jbedard at apple.com
Wed May 11 16:43:25 PDT 2022

I’m measuring from “engineer tells GitHub to land a change”, not “Merge-Queue checks out the change”. The basic steps of the process are:

- GitHub sends hook to buildbot
- buildbot validates hook and PR
- buildbot checks out PR
- buildbot inserts reviewer to commit message and ChangeLog
- buildbot runs basic pre-commit checks
- buildbot adds identifier
- buildbot commits
- buildbot updates PR with landed commit
- buidbot comments on PR and bug with information on landed commit
- buildbot closes associated bug

The “commit” step usually happens at 2 minute mark currently, I gave the time for the whole process (including bug comments, bug closing, etc). It will be a bit faster once we can drop the `git-svn` pieces of this, it’s the “checkout” and “add identifier” step that can take longer than you would expect. 10 minutes is a worst-case scenario when there are already other changes in the unsafe queue and some bots are busy with Merge-Queue and Commit-Queue requests, so there is only a single available bot serving the unsafe queue.

Jonathan