[webkit-dev] Proposal: Immediate Deprecation of ChangeLogs

Chris Dumez cdumez at apple.com
Tue May 10 20:36:21 PDT 2022

[Not sure why Apple Mail sent Ryosuke’s replies to the Junk folder but I finally noticed.]

> On May 10, 2022, at 3:04 PM, Ryosuke Niwa via webkit-dev <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 3:01 PM Jonathan Bedard via webkit-dev
> <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On May 10, 2022, at 2:46 PM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do I undertand correctly that the proposal here is
>>>
>>>      (a) Immediately Deprecate ChangeLogs
>>
>> Yes
>>
>>>      (b) Immediately end support for posting patches from Subversion checkouts?
>>
>> We would be immediately ending support for _landing_ patches posted from a Subversion checkout. EWS would continue to accept and test patches posted from Subversion checkouts.
>
> Just this week, I landed 2~3 patches using a pure Subversion checkout.
> It's actually my primary method of landing patches in WebKit right
> now.

Do you feel like 1 week is not enough time for you to do a git checkout and familiarize yourself enough with GIT to upload patches? Is that the issue? If so, how long do you feel would be reasonable?

If you’re not ready to adopt the GitHub workflow for a reason or another, git-svn / bugzilla patches is still a thing and will still work for now. Only committing from pure SVN repositories would go away in a week.