[webkit-dev] GitHub Labels

Jonathan Bedard jbedard at apple.com
Thu Mar 10 10:49:07 PST 2022

Hey folks,

We’re in the final stage of bringing up support for GitHub pull-requests. To support this effort, we’re starting to add labels to our project. We intend to use labels as a replacement for commit-queue flags and Product/Component/Version fields in bugzilla. Before our tools are too reliant on specific label names, we wanted to solicit feedback to see if folks had specific opinions on certain categories. Bellow I have some preliminary thoughts on what labels the project would find helpful:

EWS and Merge-Queue labels:
	merge-queue (green): Applied to send a PR to merge-queue (equivalent of a modern cq+)
	fast-merge-queue (green): Applied to send a PR to merge-queue, but skip building and testing
	merging-blocked (purple): Applied to prevent a change from being merged (equivalent of a modern cq-)

Component labels (all white)
	Use our existing bugzilla component labels and descriptions

Version labels (all grey)
	Use our existing bugzilla version labels and descriptions

Misc:
	regression (red): Addresses a problem that did not previously exist

It’s worth noting that changing a labels name does apply to existing labels of that name, so any decisions we make now can be modified without too much disruption.

Existing labels:
https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/labels <https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/labels>

Excited to here your thoughts,
Jonathan