[webkit-dev] 7 Days Until Retiring Subversion

Jonathan Bedard jbedard at apple.com
Thu Jun 16 16:11:38 PDT 2022

Hey folks,

The time has come! On Thursday, June 23rd, we are planning on stopping all commits to the Subversion repository hosted on https://svn.webkit.org <https://svn.webkit.org/>, all future commits will at that point be made on https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit <https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit>. If the following is true about your development workflow:

- You use github.com/WebKit/WebKit <http://github.com/WebKit/WebKit> as the remote for your git checkout of WebKit
- You commit with Commit-Queue, Merge-Queue or Unsafe-Merge-Queue

Then you do not need to change anything about your workflow. Changes which are being processed during the transition will be routed to the correct place by Commit and Merge Queue. I would like to specifically note that `webkit-patch` and the patch workflow in general will continue to work after Subversion is frozen. You can check which remote your checkout uses with ‘git remote -v’. Please see the migration guide below for details.

If you are still reliant off of git.webkit.org <http://git.webkit.org/> remotes (either WebKit-https.git or WebKit.git), or if you still have a checkout based on https://svn.webkit.org <https://svn.webkit.org/>, it’s time to migrate those checkouts. See https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/wiki/Migration <https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/wiki/Migration> for details on how to migrate from an existing checkout or https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/wiki/Contributing#checking-out-WebKit <https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/wiki/Contributing#checking-out-WebKit> for starting fresh. We intend to keep our defunct remotes available for a few weeks to ease the transitions, but starting Thursday, these 3 remotes will not be receiving new commits.

Please reach out if you have any issues,

Jonathan Bedard
WebKit Continuous Integration