[webkit-dev] Deployment of new EWS Non-Unified builder

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Jun 3 16:19:06 PDT 2022

Here’s my view:

Long ago we agreed that we’ll ask WebKit contributors to keep builds working that have EWS bots, and not other configurations. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed that invalidates that strategy and we should stick with it.

I do not agree that the statement that “all projects must build under all supported configurations” applies to WebKit. We don’t even have a concept of “supported configurations” to build that policy on. This has not been a project goal in the past and I suggest we do not add this project goal.

We should continue to use the Early Warning System to define which configurations must be kept working by all contributors, with anything beyond being treated as a stretch goal.

And we should continue to accept patches to fix various configurations that people want to keep working that are not checked by EWS. But we absolutely should not ask contributors to keep all possible combinations working.

— Darin