[webkit-dev] Add CODEOWNERS to WebKit

Jonathan Bedard jbedard at apple.com
Thu Jun 2 13:12:28 PDT 2022

Hey folks,

Yusuke is interested in adding the CODEOWNERS file to the WebKit project (see https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/1137 <https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/1137>). There have been some objections to this, the two ones I’m aware of:
- WebKit doesn’t assign “ownership” to pieces of code, so the name is unfortunate
- The last match “wins”, so if you subscribed to a generic directory early in the file, more specific matches would override that subscription

Despite these downsides, I think adding the CODEOWNERS file is good for the project for a few reasons:
- It’s a standard natively supported by GitHub, BitBucket and GitLab and will be familiar to developers
- File format is more simple than existing watchlist
- Support for groups and individuals
- No need for WebKit to host a service (other implementations of auto-CCing would require this)

I intend to work with Yusuke to land https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/1137 <https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/1137> and start adopting CODEOWNERS on Monday absent objections that folks think overshadow the benefits of the CODEOWNERS file.

Jonathan