[webkit-dev] Deployment of new EWS Non-Unified builder

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed Jun 1 18:08:42 PDT 2022

On Sat, May 21 2022 at 09:43:06 AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro
<mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> I would go even further and consider enabling unified builds only in
> DEVELOPER_MODE (for CMake ports). For non-developer builds,
> compilation time is much less important than limiting RAM usage to
> reasonable levels. Using ninja's default parallelization level, I
> recently started hitting OOM failures even on a machine with 64 GB
> RAM! We have many people complaining that they cannot build on more
> normal machines with 16 GB RAM. If we have an EWS to ensure the
> non-unified build actually works, then it should be safe enough to
> make it the normal supported path for non-developers, rather than
> just a "best effort, let's hope it works today" thing.

Any objections to this proposal?

I would additionally request that the non-unified EWS also disable
DEVELOPER_MODE, so we can additionally make sure we don't break the
build when experimental features tied to that (e.g. WebRTC or LFC) are
disabled. All the other EWS have DEVELOPER_MODE enabled, and this has
been a regular problem in the past.

Michael