[webkit-dev] OK to flatten WTF's header directory?

Elliott Williams emw at apple.com
Thu Feb 3 14:27:29 PST 2022

> On Feb 1, 2022, at 22:12, Tim Horton <timothy_horton at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Question: If they're flattened in the SDK, and not flattened in the source tree, which include path do we use when including a WTF header in e.g. WebCore?
>
> Right now you say `#include <wtf/text/WTFString.h>`. In your world, would you say `#include <wtf/WTFString.h>`?

Yes, exactly.

> If yes, how does that work for the other build systems that are building with the full source tree? (maybe we have all directories in WTF listed as header search paths, or something? or maybe they look in `usr/lib/include/wtf` in the build directory?)

My understanding is that "maybe we have all directories in WTF listed as header search paths” is how we’ve set up WebCore, JSC, and other frameworks which already flatten their headers in their build directory. For example, JSC adds all its header directories here <https://trac.webkit.org/browser/webkit/trunk/Source/JavaScriptCore/CMakeLists.txt#L16 <https://trac.webkit.org/browser/webkit/trunk/Source/JavaScriptCore/CMakeLists.txt#L16>>. IIUC, these paths become part of the JSC’s target that is used downstream.