[webkit-dev] Update commit log template to make GNU changelog optional

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Thu Dec 1 17:21:45 PST 2022

Hi Michael,

The intention of per-file or per-function comments is to have a deeper explanation of code changes, as opposed to overall explanation of what the change does at the top. Not every patch needs it, but many do. These are very helpful in my experience.

    * Source/WebCore/animation/CSSTransition.h: Use const AtomString& for the

    return value of transitionProperty to cut down on reference count churn.

    Use nameString, moved isCSSTransition to private.

Never heard the phrase "GNU changelog" before! But not sure if they are any less relevant with version control than without.

As for stale commit messages, we can probably have some tooling that does a more intelligent job, regenerating them while preserving the original comments.

- Alexey