[webkit-dev] In-browser annotations

David Bokan bokan at chromium.org
Thu Sep 30 10:28:16 PDT 2021

Hi webkit-dev!

A few of us over in Chromium are thinking of how we can enable annotation,
directly in the browser, without need for extensions. In a sentence: to
enable shared commentary over web content. We're very early in the stages
of thinking about this, there's no prototype or code written yet but we did
gather some thoughts and ideas in an explainer
<https://github.com/bokand/web-annotations/>.

This isn't a new idea - it's something that's been kicking around
since the early
days of the web
<http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists/www-talk.1993q2/0416.html>. Is there
anyone at Apple or in the WebKit community that's interested in this space
and would like to help in this effort? Or even just provide some feedback
along the way? Long term this is something that would need to work across
browsers to be successful so we'd really appreciate early involvement from
the WebKit side of the room.

Thanks!
David