[webkit-dev] Request for Position: CSS Text Decoration Module for SVG <text>

Cameron McCormack heycam at apple.com
Wed Sep 29 21:27:59 PDT 2021

Hi Kent,

> I'd like to request an official WebKit position on expanding support of "CSS Text Decoration Module" [1] for SVG <text>.  Currently WebKit and Blink support only a few features for SVG <text>, and we'd like to add support of features which are currently supported for HTML.
>
> Firefox already supports various properties for SVG <text>, including text-emphasis-style.

We are in support of this. In general, CSS text properties should all apply to SVG text too, unless there is a specific reason/conflict. Please note that CSS properties that newly apply to SVG text should not gain presentation attributes, per the note below the table in https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/styling.html#PresentationAttributes <https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/styling.html#PresentationAttributes>.

Cameron