[webkit-dev] Fuzzy Reftest Plans, and Metadata Locations

Alejandro Garcia Castro alex at igalia.com
Sat Oct 30 03:12:52 PDT 2021

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 06:24:02PM +0100, Sam Sneddon via webkit-dev wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As part of the ongoing work on GPU Process, we’re interested in
> adding support for reftest fuzzy matching (i.e., allowing a certain
> amount of tolerance when comparing the generated images).
>
> [...]
>
> Finally, we could add per-test or per-directory files alongside
> the tests. (Due to how things work, these could presumably also be
> in directories in platform/.) This I think is probably the best
> option as it keeps the metadata near the test, without needing to
> modify the test (which, per above, is problematic for WPT as we
> move to automatically exporting changes). One could imagine either
> a __dir__-metadata.json (to use a similar name to how WPT names
> directory-level metadata files) or a -expected-fuzzy.json file
> alongside each test.
>
> Your opinions would be warmly welcomed!

Thanks for working on this, I can not provide any feedback on the
solutions, but with regard to the situations that we would like
to solve in WPE/GTK we need it. Some refrests will use it because
depending on the layer structure the blurring algorithm used can be
different and we found some of those when we activated async scrolling
in the tests (I think Apple is currently not testing it this way).

I guess that means we need a number per test for the solution, because
the tests can be in different directories.

I hope this information helps!

Alex