[webkit-dev] Request for position: CSS highlight inheritance (css-pseudo #highlight-cascade)

Delan Azabani dazabani at igalia.com
Thu Oct 28 04:50:23 PDT 2021

On 2021-07-01 10:22, Delan Azabani wrote:
> I’m seeking WebKit’s position on the “Cascading and Per-Element
> Highlight Styles” section of css-pseudo-4 [0].

Just following up on this. Any thoughts?

Note that there’s a new compat risk scenario that I wasn’t previously
aware of (<https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6774>), so there
are actually two kinds of content that might be adversely affected:

1.  content somehow relying on descendants being reset to initial
    ::selection styles (and not using universal ::selection rules)

2.  content relying on combining one highlight color explicitly set on
    ::selection with another defaulted from the originating element