[webkit-dev] Request for position: new window.open() behavior

Mason Freed masonfreed at chromium.org
Fri Nov 19 13:37:32 PST 2021

Hi WebKit,

I'd like to get WebKit's position on some changes that were recently made
to the spec <https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5872> for window.open().
Chromium is planning to ship
<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/q6ybnmxxvpE/m/2snoh6wkAgAJ>
these
new behaviors soon. The chromestatus entry
<https://chromestatus.com/feature/5663031909416960> has the full details,
but in essence, this makes two changes to the spec. First is that a new
windowFeature value, 'popup', can be used to explicitly trigger a popup
(popup=1) vs. a window/tab (popup=0). The other change is that the
BarProp.visible properties will all return the same values, true for
tab/window, false for popup. We do not believe either of these changes
should cause compat problems, but we'll monitor for bugs as we roll it out.

These changes simplify the usage of window.open() and work toward better
interop in this area. We're hopeful that you're supportive of this change.

Thanks,
Mason