[webkit-dev] Request for position: Allow Navigator.registerProtocolHandler to register FTP related schemes.

Asanka Herath asanka at chromium.org
Mon May 17 12:19:05 PDT 2021

Hi folks,

I sent out an 'intent to implement and ship' for adding FTP related schemes
to the list of safelisted schemes for use with registerProtocolHandler. I'd
like to solicit your opinion on this change.

Thanks,
- Asanka

Summary

Add "ftp", "ftps", and "sftp" to the list of protocols available for
registration via registerProtocolHandler(). FTP is now deprecated and will
imminently be removed from the codebase. Allowing websites to register
themselves as handlers for ftp:// URLs makes it possible to build easy to
use gateways for legacy ftp sites. In addition we propose adding related
protocols "ftps" and "sftp" to the list. Google Chrome/Chromium was not
handling these URL schemes.

Blink componentBlink>HTML>CustomHandlers
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EHTML%3ECustomHandlers>

Search tagsftp <https://www.chromestatus.com/features#tags:ftp>,
registerprotocolhandler
<https://www.chromestatus.com/features#tags:registerprotocolhandler>

TAG review

TAG review statusNot applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Worth prototyping (
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/513) Suggested
filtering out credentials from outgoing FTP links.

WebKit: N/A Safari does not support `registerProtocolHandler`.

Web developers: Positive (
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=333943#c57)

Security

Same as other schemes in registerProtocolHandler. Since ftp was a protocol
that used to be supported by the browser, internal ftp links might exist
that assume in-browser support in assessing their security risks. A custom
protocol handler will necessarily expose ftp URLs to the handler.
Registering one may violate administrator assumptions about the URLs not
leaving their organization when users click on them.

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?No

Flag name

Tracking bughttps://crbug.com/1199027

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5762628536238080

Links to previous Intent discussionsIntent to Ship:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/ABhlioapE0E/m/du8Jv9nhAAAJ