[webkit-dev] Request for opinion: Private Network Access secure context restriction

youenn fablet youennf at gmail.com
Mon May 3 06:37:48 PDT 2021

Le lun. 3 mai 2021 à 14:58, Titouan Rigoudy via webkit-dev <
webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> a écrit :

> Hi there friendly WebKittens,
>
> I am gearing up to ship a small first step of Private Network Access [1]
> in Chromium. Roughly:
>
> Websites served over HTTP from public IP addresses will no longer be
> allowed to make subresource fetches to private IP addresses (RFC1918 and/or
> localhost). Specifically, this restriction applies to non-secure contexts.
> Secure contexts are unaffected by this change.

This seems like a good move to me.
To be sure to understand, private IP address servers will not be able to
opt-in to be accessed by any HTTP origin.
But they will be able to opt-in for specific HTTPS origins.
Is it correct?

We have metrics in place telling us that ~0.1% of page visits at most make
> use of this feature.

Do you know whether these 0.1% happens more often in corporate networks?