[webkit-dev] Request for position: Critical-CH response header, part of Client Hints Reliability proposal

Aaron Tagliaboschi aarontag at chromium.org
Fri Jan 29 04:45:20 PST 2021

By default, the browser only sends the brand, major/significant version,
and whether or not the browser has signalled it wants a "mobile"
experience. Other than that, the browser only sends hints that the site has
signalled it wants through the Accept-CH response header.

If, for example, the browser has never visited the site before, then the
browser has never received an Accept-CH response header from that site and
therefore doesn't know that the site wants any extra headers. This also
happens when information about the site is clear, which also clears the
client hint preferences

It could also be that the site has changed the hints it wants to receive
since you last visited, in which case you might not have sent all of the
headers it actually wants.

In both cases, it's not that the browser is blocking the headers, but that
the preferences stored in the browser are out of sync with the preferences
of the site.