[webkit-dev] New EWS Non-Unified builder

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Apr 30 23:33:47 PDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 10:16 AM Alexey Proskuryakov via webkit-dev <
webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:

> These points from my yesterday email remain without responses:
>
> 1. Cannot have an EWS without corresponding post-commit queue.

Yeah, we should first add a bot.

2. It doesn't appear like we looked into whether there are any ways to
> mitigate the problem other that this most costly one.

The reason build may break when a new file is added or removed is because
all existing files shift. We could mitigate this if we always added a new
file at the end of existing unified build files, and always left an empty
spot when removing a file. I believe we don't unify files across top-level
directories so I could imagine, for example, we can say that we always add
a file at the end of Sources.txt per top-level directory. We could then
periodically sort files lexicologically with an understanding that this
will require a lot of build fixes to be applied at the same time.

For ports that don't use unified builds, one solution might be to create
wrapper translation units or unified header files. Say we're compiling
A.cpp and B.cpp as Unified1.cpp, then we'd basically create the union of
header files included in A.cpp and B.cpp and put into Unified1.h. Then this
port will build wrapper translation units A-unified.cpp and B-unified.cpp
each of which respectively includes A.cpp and B.cpp as well as Unified1.h.

- R. Niwa