[webkit-dev] New EWS Non-Unified builder

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Thu Apr 29 13:19:43 PDT 2021

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 19:04:55 +0000 Ross Kirsling via webkit-dev <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:

> Yeah, I think it's important to clarify that nobody is "using
> non-Unified-Source building for their development", at least to my
> knowledge. Being broken by the shifting sands of unified sources is an
> everybody problem (or at the very least an "everybody that builds via CMake
> problem", which is ultimately an everybody problem).

This is pretty accurate. I do have a build directory configured manually
as non-unified so I can get its “compile_commands.json” to point tooling
at (mainly clangd, for code completion and linting), but actual builds I
do them with the “build-webkit” script.

Another situation in which I explicitly opt-in to non-unified builds is
around the time we make a release branch for the GTK and WPE ports; get
to solve the non-unified build issues and then land the patches in the
release branch as well. The goal here is to make sure that what we release
can be built non-unified, which means header includes and whatnot are
correct (at least for these ports) and we can have the confidence that
people doing cross-builds (where the set of files in each unified build
compilation unit can shift) will not have problems with the builds.

Before I did the above we used to have complaints and distributions
sometimes carrying odd patches playing whack-a-mole to get builds done
instead of properly fixing things.

Cheers,
—Adrián