[webkit-dev] Detecting and handling unresponsive web processes

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed Apr 28 06:11:16 PDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 27 2021 at 10:18:04 AM +0200, Miguel Gomez via webkit-dev
<webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
> * Have some API method that allows to kill the problematic web
> process,
> and let the browser call it when needed. The next load will create a
> new web process.

We only need this API if we are unable to fix the existing
webkit_web_view_load_* APIs to work when the web process is
unresponsive, right? So we probably do not need it.

> * Modify some of the existent load/reload API calls so they check
> whether the web process is responsive or not. If it's unresponsive,
> kill the process before trying to do anything else, and a new web
> process will be created when the rest of the code is executed.

This behavior is a better default for most client applications.
Applications that want more control would just need a way to disable
this behavior, right?