[webkit-dev] Request for position: ALPS and ACCEPT_CH HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 frames

David Benjamin davidben at chromium.org
Tue Apr 6 12:00:04 PDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 2:37 PM Alex Christensen <achristensen at apple.com>
wrote:

> I’m also wondering why
> https://github.com/WICG/client-hints-infrastructure/blob/main/reliability.md#retry-limits
> says it should only retry GET requests.  Is that just to avoid re-uploading
> large POST requests?

POST requests are not safe
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-4.2.1> or idempotent
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-4.2.2>, so the client
shouldn't automatically resend them. Though, yes, large POST bodies would
also be a nuisance.

> On Apr 6, 2021, at 10:02 AM, David Benjamin <davidben at chromium.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Alex, thanks for the comments! Responses inline.
>
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 9:04 PM Alex Christensen <achristensen at apple.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I’m glad to see ALPS and bytes sent over the network used instead of
>> additional reliance on state on the client.  We don’t want to introduce a
>> super cookie on the client, and we want to minimize breakage when a user
>> agent decides to remove state to prevent tracking.
>>

> Well, with regards to cross-site tracking, I'll note that Accept-CH cache
> is already naturally partitioned because it only applies to top-level
> loads. Subresources follow a delegation model. But, yeah, one of the nice
> outcomes of Client Hint Reliability is it makes the Accept-CH cache
> *actually* a cache, so the UA can scope or clear it with less worry. I
> think reducing the performance and functionality gap between new and
> returning clients is generally valuable for this sort of thing. I hope
> Client Hint Reliability is useful in this regard.
>
> I can’t say I’ve followed this development closely or even thought through
>> it all completely, but here are some initial thoughts:
>>
>> My first thought is that it seems excessive to have a way to specify
>> support of client hints both in the TLS handshake and in HTTP/{2,3}
>> frames.  I guess that’s why you wrote
>> https://github.com/WICG/client-hints-infrastructure/blob/main/reliability.md#why-two-mechanisms
>

> I think you may have misunderstood the reference to two mechanisms. The
> TLS ALPS extension and h2/h3 frames are part of the same mechanism. It's a
> layering thing. TLS provides a generic spot to stick protocol-specific
> settings early enough in the handshake, and then HTTP/{2,3} define how to
> use it. (We don't want every new feature like this to require an update to
> the TLS server.)
>
> Rather, the reference is to (1) Critical-CH HTTP response *header* and
> (2) TLS ALPS + h2/h3 frames. I'd love to avoid the redundancy, but I think
> this is the best option given all the design constraints. And yeah the
> explainer discusses why.
>

>> I don’t think that requiring a site to be running software that supports
>> client hints is a good prerequisite to using client hints, so I don’t think
>> that’s a good reason to have two mechanisms.
>>

> I'm not sure I'm parsing this sentence right. It sounds like you both
> don't think server software changes are a good requisite, but also don't
> think it's good to have a mechanism with lower server software requirements?
>
> Oops!  Remove the first “don’t” in my sentence.

Ah. :-)

I think the other constraints are more fundamental. I view this more as a
nice bonus. Especially given how slowly TLS sadly moves in much of the
ecosystem. Features in TLS libraries, software releases, those releases
making their way into Linux distros, and then to LTS versions of those
distros, etc.

In particular, the rest of Client Hints works with just headers, so having
Critical-CH makes it easier for sites to get reliability. That, in turn,
reduces the functionality gap when the UA needs to clear or scope some
state, as we talked about above. (Though the connection-level optimization
is still needed to close the performance gap.)