[webkit-dev] Request for position on isInputPending

Andrew Comminos acomminos at fb.com
Tue Sep 29 13:44:16 PDT 2020

Thanks for the response Ryosuke, comments inline.

On 9/23/20 12:37 AM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> As we have discussed in other avenues, we're skeptical that this API is
> needed given native apps on iOS and macOS don't need such an API and
> many iOS apps are considered as a pinnacle of good performance.

Our thesis is that the cooperative multitasking environment on the web
is significantly more hostile to developers than the native platforms
that you mention. Developers have little control over what else gets
scheduled on the event loop, especially across different UAs. Many web
frameworks seek to yield less often because it guarantees that they
won't be interrupted due to work in other frames, analytics and other
third-party scripts, as well as any other work/throttling the UA is
doing that may be lower priority.

We've seen these benefits in the origin trial we ran for isInputPending
in Chrome. For instance, the Google Slides team was able to see a
substantial improvement in render time (about 25%) of the left-hand-side
filmstrip UI for complex content by yielding less (which is only really
possible with isInputPending, as otherwise there would be unacceptable
input delay). At Facebook, we were able to reduce event latency at p95
by 100ms (while retaining our scheduler’s throughput) by integrating
isInputPending.

> Furthermore, a well performing app should be yielding at least every
> frame, and in that case, there is no need for isInputPending since
> AppKit will only send at most one NSEvent of a given type per frame by
> design.

As mentioned above, there are real incentives for developers to yield
less often than a frame. For these situations, isInputPending allows
developers to get the throughput wins they want from yielding less,
while still being responsive to user input (a strict improvement over
the status quo, where sites are yielding less ungracefully).

Best,
Andrew